Monday, December 15, 2008

The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo


Although I acquired The Tale of Despereaux well over a year ago, I've only just sat down to read it. Perhaps I was influenced by the new movie adaptation. Whatever the cause, I'm pleased to have (finally) read Kate Di Camillo's bestseller!

Despereaux, a darling mouse with a heart of gold, is the absurdly-large-eared hero of this enchanting tale. Like any good fairy tale, characters include a princess, a king, a scullery maid, and villainous rats. DiCamillo's work also contains less common characteristics. There is a certain darkness which runs throughout the tale - one of sorrow, death, and unhappiness. Even though all ends well, I can't help but be surprised by the darker bits. Moreso, I greatly appreciate DiCamillo's own courage (much like her mouse!) to tell the whole story, rather than giving readers a Disney-esque story made of sugar and happiness.

My reading of The Tale of Despereaux is timely for another reason, as well. With Christmas breathing down the back of my neck, the pressure to find the right gifts for one and all weighs heavily. Of course, I like to give books as gifts whenever possible. Some of Di Camillo's other works (Because of Winn-Dixie, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane) have had their own moments in the spotlight, recently. It is clear that DiCamillo is a gifted children's writer, and is destined to be celebrated as one of the "best of the best." As for The Tale of Despereaux, well, I'm off to buy a few copies for my little cousins!

Kiddie Lit-er Suggestions:
To be read aloud, or by an older reader.
Ages 6 - 12. Not gender specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment